Sparx Systems launched the Pro Cloud Server, a gateway for third party tools to integrate with Enterprise Architect models.
As models need to be available for members of the project team to access and review, they need to use Sparx Enterprise Architect tool. For a read-only access, models can be published in Word, Excel or HTML, however resulting in a decoupled export from the live repository. For users who require a simple and quick access to models, Sparx Pro Cloud Server (PCS) offers a gateway to EA models via its built-in Web EA or for upcoming and emerging third party toolsto provide a web interface via a standard or mobile browser. This will be also useful to select and provide access only to the models that need to be visible for a given type of user (e.g. reviewers, Q/A, etc.), where this cannot be achieved with EA (any user has a full access to the model structure). The PCS also provides a suitable solution for existing third party tools to exchange information with EA.
Pro Cloud Server features:
- Gateway for Enterprise Architect, licensed by Sparx Systems
- OSLC and RESTful API enabling third party tools integration
- For web solutions to address Enterprise Architect needs e.g. to access, edit text, and review models (details about an emerging web solution will be provided soon)
- Existing third party tools where the need to exchange information is relevant, e.g. requirements or business process to be traced with analysis and design elements in EA
- Note: a commercial license is required for 3rd party use. The license simply details the scope and conditions under which the API may be used for commercial purposes.
- Built-in web interface: Web EA
- A number of licensing options are available to choose from, based on the number of projects and users
- Note that Sparx Systems just released the Pro Cloud Server Express, which is free for users who have active EA licenses (conditions apply)
WebEA: web interface for Enterprise Architect models and diagrams
The main reason that led to the Pro Cloud Server is very likely to be linked with the need to provide a web interface to diagrams, requirements, processes, use cases, classes, etc.
The Pro Cloud Server includes Web EA, a web interface to cater for the following:
- Collaborate with stakeholders and other members of the project.
- Provide a real-time access to selected diagrams and content from the existing Enterprise Architect project via a smart phone, tablet, or standard web browser.
- WebEA is not intended to replace Enterprise Architect tool:
- it enables the team to access and review if needed models (note: the documentation validation can be replaced with models validation and improvements for a more agile approach, and to increase efficiency);
- Enterprise Architect tool with a valid license remains needed to update and maintain diagrams, elements, etc.
- Note: alternatives to Web EA are expected to offer a more complete and suitable solution.
Web EA interfaces are illustrated as follows.
OSLC et RESTful API interface
The Pro Cloud Server provides an API interface to explore, query, retrieve and update information from an Enterprise Architect repository. The RESTful API can be used by third party tools, including web solutions.
Note: A commercial license is required for 3rd party use. The license simply details the scope and conditions under which the API may be used for commercial purposes.
Sparx Systems released the following diagram to illustrate the technical architecture involving the Pro Cloud Server: