eaUtils 1.19.6 introduces a new feature to compare diagrams.
Native feature in Enterprise Architect
Enterprise Architect provides a baseline comparison tool to compare the current state of the model in the database with a "baseline" i.e. an XMI export of a model branch. This is relevant and convenient to compare the model with an older state when snapsnots (baselines) are available.
For more information, search for model baseline in Enterprise Architect User Guide.
Alternative approach with eaUtils
eaUtils Compare Diagrams feature provides a different approach by running a comparison on the content from 2 diagrams, to identify differences in terms of elements and connectors visible in each diagram.
The illustrated purpose on this page applies to an Enterprise Architecture model built with ArchiMate (Open Group).
The following diagrams establish the current and future state of the organization's main applications flows i.e. before and after a planned migration to replace "Application 2" with "NewAPP A" and "NewAPP B" applications.
Current state with "Application 2":
Future state with "NewAPP A" and "NewAPP B":
Procedure to use eaUtils Compare Diagrams:
- Create a new diagram where eaUtils will be executed.
- Add a hyperlink for each diagram to compare (drag/drop each diagram and select Hyperlink).
- Set the hyperlinks alias values as follows:
- Diagram 1 alias = eautils_compare_v1
- Diagram 2 alias = eautils_compare_v2
- The setup is complete. Right click on this diagram and select Specialize > eaUtils > [Diagrams] Compare Diagrams
- The following window is opened with the status update:
- Note: if the diagram is not properly set up, the following error is shown.
- A diagram is generated with all elements and connectors from both diagrams.
- Elements and connectors with the border line in RED were only found in Diagram 1 i.e. they can be considered as removed from Diagram 2.
- Elements and connectors with the border line in GREEN were only found in Diagram 2 i.e. they can be considered as added in Diagram 2.
- Other elements and connectors with the default border line were found in both diagrams (matching).
- A legend is available.
"eaUtils Compare Results 20210412-190632" diagram:
- This diagram can be finalized and saved:
It is also possible to set a different colour from the default red and green. To do so, update each hyperlink font (text) colour e.g. diagram 1 = blue and diagram 2 = orange.
Running eaUtils Compare Diagrams feature generates the following result:
The latest version of eaUtils addin is available from the following link : www.eautils.com/download.